Better Brussels Sprouts
- 3 - 3 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
Cut off stem ends from sprouts and remove any outer yellow leaves. Cut a small X in bottom of each sprout. Rinse in cold water, drain, and pat dry.
MAKE AHEAD: May be prepared up to this point one day ahead and stored in plastic bags in vegetable crisper.
Over low heat, melt 2 1/2 tablespoons butter with oil in a large, heavy pot. Add garlic; cook for 2 1/2-3 1/2 minutes, or just until garlic starts to change color. Add sprouts; toss with butter mixture. Add chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Cover; cook over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until just tender. Stir once or twice. Do not overcook. Drain sprouts; return them to the pot.
Just before serving, toss with melted butter; adjust seasonings. Shake pot over medium-low flame to heat through. (Do not cook.) Toss with parsley, and lemon juice if desired. Serve immediately.