- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c. onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 c. celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 pint raw Virginia oysters, liquid discarded, rinsed and patted dry, chopped in half or quarters
- 1 1/4 c. chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp. sage
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- 1/2 tsp. whole thyme
- 1 stick salted butter
- 5 c. Traditional or Cornbread Stuffing Mix
- salt and pepper, to taste
Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Sauté onion and celery until lightly brown and softened. Add oysters, chicken stock, spices and butter, stir until butter is melted. Remove to a large mixing bowl and add stuffing mix. Stir until moist. (Add more broth for softer stuffing.) Salt and pepper to taste. Transfer mixture to an oven safe dish.
Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes. (To ensure safe handling of seafood make sure the internal temperature of stuffing reaches a minimum of 165°.) Let stand 10-15 minutes when removed from oven to allow any remaining moisture to absorb into stuffing mixture.
This was good and a great option for my guest who didn't eat pork.(sausage and apple stuffing)...
-Hurricane in W-S, on 12/25/13