Pan Seared Chicken with Mole-Style Sauce (August Fresh Flavors '12)
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, skinless
- 3 tablespoons TFM No Salt Added Fajita Spice Rub, divided
- 2 tablespoons TFM Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Primal Roots Red Blend Wine
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons TFM Chili Powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can TFM Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons PB Crave Choco Choco Peanut Butter
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium lime, cut into wedges
Heat a skillet over medium high heat for 3 minutes. Add olive oil to pan and swirl to coat. Season chicken with 2 tablespoons of Spice Rub. Add chicken to pan and sear on each side for 1 minute. Lower heat to medium and continue to cook chicken until juices run clear, or it reaches an internal temperature of 165°, about 8-10 minutes. Remove chicken to a platter, cover with foil to keep warm and set aside.
In same skillet add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes, being careful not to burn garlic; remove pan from heat and add wine, scraping up any browned bits. Add coffee, 1 tablespoon Spice Rub, chili powder, tomato sauce and peanut butter. Whisk thoroughly to combine and simmer to heat sauce through, about 5-8 minutes. Carefully transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and blend for 2 minutes. To serve, pour sauce over chicken and garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges.