Red Wine Risotto with Roasted Pumpkin
- 2 1/2 cups pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package baby bella mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups brown Arborio
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
Preheat oven to 350°. Brush pumpkin cubes lightly with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Sauté in large sauté pan over medium heat until golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet and roast for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons oil and shallots in sauté pan and cook about 1 minute over medium heat. Add mushrooms and garlic, cook an additional 3 minutes. Add rice and cook for 1 minute. Add red wine and cook until liquid has absorbed. Slowly add vegetable broth to rice mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing liquid to be absorbed before adding more broth, about 25 to 30 minutes. During last 15 minutes, mash 1/2 of the pumpkin cubes and stir into rice after the last broth addition. Add remaining cubed pumpkin, cheese, basil and oregano; stir to combine.