Shaved Fennel and Grapefruit Salad (Fresh Flavors Feb '13)
- 1 whole Ruby Red Grapefruit, peeled
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 bulbs fennel, stalks and base removed, halved vertically and sliced paper thin
- 1 c. fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 c. fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/3 c. feta cheese, crumbled
- The Fresh Market Sea Salt Spice Grinder, to taste
Cut off top and bottom ends of grapefruit and stand up on 1 flat side. Using a sharp knife and starting at top of fruit, trim off all peel and white pith, following curve of fruit. Working over a large bowl, slice between white membranes, releasing segments and allowing juice to drip into bowl. Squeeze any remaining juice into bowl. Add 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, fennel and herbs and toss gently to combine.
Arrange salad on platter. Crumble feta cheese over grapefruit mixture and drizzle with remaining 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil. Grind sea salt over top and serve.
Refreshing and elegant
This salad can be served at a fancy luncheon or casual dinner at home. I love fennel and also tried the salad with oranges. It is light and refreshing. Perfect for summer.
-RJ, on 4/11/13