Smoky Shrimp and Sweet Potato Chowder (Fresh Flavors Jan '11)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup Chardonnay, Alamos
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 package Flatout Baked Flatbread Crisps
Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes; add oil and swirl to coat. Add onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, paprika and chili powder; sauté for 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat and add wine, scraping up any brown bits from the pan. Return pot to heat and reduce heat to medium-low. Add chicken stock, cover and simmer for another 5-8 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender. Add shrimp and cream; combine well and simmer until shrimp are just done, approximately 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve with Flat Out Flatbread Crisps.
Tip: For added presentation, garnish the chowder with freshly snipped chives.