GREENSBORO, NC, Nov. 26, 2018 - Whether guests don’t want to have ‘big bird’ taking up residence in their refrigerator, or they are looking to serve something extra special this holiday, The Fresh Market is betting that beef will be big this holiday season.
“We’ve seen about a five percent shift over the past few years from guests ordering fresh whole turkeys to an increase in fully-cooked turkey sales, primarily for convenience,” said Peter Mayes, Director of Meat Merchandising at The Fresh Market. “Turkey is actually taking a backseat to beef, with whole prime beef tenderloins and standing rib roasts becoming more of the star for the holiday meal.”
Over the past year, The Fresh Market has introduced a new prime beef program, focusing on offering the highest quality prime beef available, comparable to what you would find at a high-end steakhouse. In addition to being hand-trimmed at the store, the specialty grocer has a “zero-trim” policy where their meat cutters leave no exterior fat on the beef, letting the interior marbling provide the flavor.
Several factors are driving this shift, including:
More holiday meal occasions
- Fewer families want the hassle or expense of traveling during the holidays and are opting for smaller family dinners or multiple holiday meal celebrations with friends. While one of these holiday dinners might include a traditional turkey, subsequent dinners might feature something more decadent like standing rib roasts or a whole beef tenderloin to avoid turkey fatigue.
- Smaller gatherings also call for smaller birds. Earlier this month, The Fresh Market sold out of the “Essential” holiday meal, which serves 3 – 5 people, in one week even after planning for a 25% increase in sales from last year.
- Millennials could be behind the disruption of a traditional Thanksgiving meal, complete with a large turkey. They feel less constrained to follow customary holiday meal menus and may opt for potluck style where everyone brings a dish, to something on the more culinary adventurous side.
Lack of time, culinary skill
- People have less time to shop, prep and cook so they are opting to buy the fully-prepared holiday meal options.
- Many lack the confidence in their cooking skills to roast a whole turkey (especially if it is something they only cook once a year).
- Not wanting to take up their entire refrigerator space to hold a fresh, large turkey and all of the fixings.
The Fresh Market offers easy entertaining solutions from fully-prepared holiday meals (click here to see holiday ordering brochure) to curating the best in fresh meat, seafood, produce, cheese and baked goods to plan your holiday feast (find inspiration here).
Online ordering is available until December 20 at 2:00 PM EST while in-store ordering is taking place now through December 23rd. Guests can pick up their holiday meal on December 22 or 23 by 10:00 PM or on Christmas Eve by 3:00 PM.
For guests who get to skip the cooking this holiday but need a hostess gift, The Fresh Market has an array of gift basket selections, from an array of prewrapped options or custom-made from any product sold in the store.