- 6 red apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ c. sugar
- 3 tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (6 lb.) whole roasting chicken, cut in quarters
Sear apples in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat until you hear a sizzle on the bottom. Add cinnamon and sugar and stir after 5 minutes. Once apples begin to steam, about 10 minutes, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Remove from pan and place in a 9x13-inch baking dish.
Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine butter, parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Gently separate skin from chicken and spread butter mixture under skin. Place chicken on top of apples, cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and continue baking for 30 minutes.
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.