- 6 tbsp butter, softened and divided
- 6 red apples, cored and sliced into wedges
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ c granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 (6 lb) whole roasting chicken, cut in quarters
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a large Dutch oven* or oven-safe skillet, melt 3 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add apples, cinnamon and sugar and stir. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until apples begin to soften.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining butter, parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Gently separate skin from chicken and spread butter mixture under skin. Place chicken on top of apples, cover and bake for 45 minutes. Remove cover and continue baking for 30 minutes until skin is nicely brown and an internal temperature of 165°F is reached. Serve chicken alongside cinnamon apples.
*If you do not have a Dutch oven or oven-safe skillet, transfer apples and chicken to a 9x13-inch baking dish.
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.