- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5-6 small shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 (4 oz) pkg San Daniele Diced Pancetta
- 1 (10 oz) pkg Frozen Chopped Spinach, thawed and drained thoroughly
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 c The Fresh Market Sourdough Alpine Loaf, torn into large, bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ c Shredded Parmesan cheese
- 10 large eggs
- 3 c milk (preferably whole)
In a large skillet, add olive oil and heat over medium for 1-2 minutes. Add shallots and sauté 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pancetta to the pan and sauté with shallots until pancetta begins to crisp and shallots become soft and golden, about 3-4 more minutes.
Add spinach to the skillet and stir to thoroughly mix all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook another 2 minutes to remove any excess water from the spinach. Remove from heat and transfer contents to a large bowl.
Combine torn bread and Parmesan cheese with the pancetta and spinach mixture, and gently fold everything together. Butter a 13x9-inch baking dish and transfer bread mixture to the dish.
In a large bowl, add eggs and milk and season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk thoroughly and pour mixture over the bread in the baking dish.
Press down slightly on the bread to make sure it’s all submerged in the custard. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, ideally overnight.
Before baking, preheat oven to 350°F and bring strata to room temperature for 30 minutes.
Bake strata uncovered for 45-50 minutes and check for doneness by jiggling the baking dish. If the top wiggles, bake another 20 minutes or until top has set. Remove from heat and let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
Shop Recipe Ingredients
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.