- ¼ c hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 oz mushrooms, finely chopped
- One 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1 oz fresh ginger, finely chopped (about 3 tbsp)
- ½ c green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- 2 c shredded broccoli slaw or cabbage slaw
- 2 heads Bibb or butter lettuce, divided into leaf cups
- Serve with your choice of: the remaining green onions, more broccoli slaw, red cabbage, hot sauce, sweet chili sauce, diced cucumber, fresh cilantro and/or chopped peanuts
Whisk together hoisin, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth. Set aside until needed.
Warm the peanut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the beef and cook until no longer pink, crumbling with the spoon, about 5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, water chestnuts, ginger and half of the green onions. Sauté for about 3 minutes. Stir in the broccoli slaw and hoisin mixture, and cook while stirring until the mixture bubbles and thickens slightly, about 1 minute.
To serve, spoon a little of the beef mixture inside each lettuce cup and top with your choice of condiments.
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.