- 4 oz diced chorizo
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 c canned crushed tomatoes
- ½ c pimento stuffed green olives, sliced plus 2 tbsp brine
- ½ c raisins
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Serve with rice, avocado, cilantro and lime
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until it begins to render some fat. Stir in the onion, pepper and salt; cook until tender, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Add the beef and cook until no longer pink, crumbling with the spoon, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, cumin, chili powder, cloves, allspice, and bay leaf and cook while stirring for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
Stir in the olives, brine and raisins. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaves and serve warm, with rice, avocado, cilantro and lime.
Shop Recipe Ingredients
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.