- 2 bottles Mexican lager style beer, divided
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, finely chopped (add another jalapeño if you like it spicier!)
- ¼ c packed cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp The Fresh Market Blackened Spice Rub & Marinade
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lb skirt or flank steak
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Combine 1 ½ c beer with the next 8 ingredients in a large non-reactive bowl. Add flank steak, cover, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.
Preheat grill to high heat and allow meat to sit at room temperature 20 minutes before cooking. Remove meat from marinade and reserve the liquid. Pat the meat dry and season well with salt.
While meat is coming to room temperature, transfer the marinade to a medium saucepan. Add ½ c beer and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Skim any foam or impurities from the surface and let the mixture reduce by half, about 20 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl and mix in brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Keep mixture warm while cooking the meat.
Place meat on grill and cook to medium rare, 10 minutes per side, or until desired degree of doneness. Note, skirt steak is thinner and will require less grill time, about 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove from grill and let rest 10 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain. Place meat on a serving dish and cover with reduced marinade.
Carne Asada is extremely versatile as main dish. Serve it in tacos, on top of salads, or even for breakfast with a side of eggs.
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.