- 1 lb red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-in cubes
- 1 lb parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-in cubes
- 3 c lightly packed green cabbage, chopped
- 1 leek, white and pale green parts, thoroughly cleaned and cut into ½-in dice
- 1 c heavy whipping cream
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Add potatoes and parsnips to a large pot with a handful of salt. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well, discard water, and return potato mixture to the pot. Mash the mixture, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and keep the pot covered and warm. Preheat broiler.
Meanwhile, combine cabbage or leafy green with leek, heavy whipping cream, 4 tbsp butter and nutmeg in a medium saucepan. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, but not browned, about 15 minutes. Stir the mixture into the potatoes. Spread the potato and greens mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish, making a well in the center. Place pan under the broiler until lightly browned on top, about 5 minutes. Remove pan and place remaining 2 tbsp butter in the well. Serve immediately.
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.