- 1 pkg penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 sprays extra virgin olive oil spray (to grease skillet)
- 1 lb (about 4 links) Italian pork sausage (hot or mild), casings removed
- 3 oz smoked sun dried tomatoes, julienned
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ c pinot grigio
- ½ c chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale, thick ribs removed, chopped (yields about 4 c)
- 4 tsp kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 ¾ c whole milk
- ⅓ c heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ c shredded parmesan cheese
Place the cooked pasta into a large serving bowl. Keep up to a ½ c. of pasta water and set aside for the sauce.
Spray a large skillet with extra virgin olive oil spray and heat over medium high for 2 minutes. Add the sausage, use a wooden spoon to break up the pieces and cook thoroughly, about 5 minutes. Add sun dried tomatoes and garlic, sauté 1 minute longer. Remove skillet from heat, add pinot grigio scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.
Return skillet to heat and add chicken broth and kale, continue to cook and toss until kale is wilted and tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside the sausage and kale in a large serving bowl, cover to keep warm. Add flour and butter to the same skillet and pull together with a whisk making a roux. Slowly add in the whole milk and whisk vigorously to smooth lumps. Add the heavy whipping cream and parmesan cheese to make a sauce.
Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta, sausage and kale mixture, toss with tongs to combine. Add the reserved pasta water to smooth out sauce if needed.
Shop Recipe Ingredients
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.