- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes seasoned with garlic, basil and oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¾ c. olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 whole carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 c. chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 or 2 fresh bay leaves, chopped
- ¼ c. fresh basil, chopped
- ½ c. heavy cream
Preheat oven to 450º. Strain tomatoes, reserving juices. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle 1/4 c. olive oil over tomatoes. Roast until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
In a medium sauté pan, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, yellow onion, carrots and celery and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add roasted tomatoes, reserved tomato juice, chicken broth and bay leaves. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add basil and heavy cream, stirring to combine; remove bay leaves. In a food processor or using a hand blender, purée until smooth.
Serve with warm crusty bread.
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.