- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled, halved and sliced thinly (about 3 c)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Kosher salt
- ½ c Guinness
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 7 ounces Dubliner Cheddar Cheese, shredded and divided
Add oil to a 9-inch cast iron pan and heat over medium for 2-3 minutes. Add onion and thyme and season with salt to taste. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, then deglaze with Guinness. Once no liquid remains, reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking onions until dark and caramelized, about 30 minutes, stirring periodically.
Preheat broiler to high. Add cream cheese and half of the Dubliner cheese to onions and stir with a spatula until cheeses are completely melted and mixture is smooth. Spread into an even layer and top with remaining Dubliner cheese. Place pan under broiler for about 2 minutes, or until top is golden-brown. Serve with slices of toasted Rye bread.
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.