- Canola oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ c extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
- Pinch of paprika
- 1 c crème fraiche
- 1 vine ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
- ½ c Castelvetrano olives, pitted and minced
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 lb halibut steaks
- The Fresh Market Alderwood Smoked Sea Salt grinder, for serving
Prepare outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Clean grill grates well and brush with canola oil.
To a small mixing bowl, add lemon juice, 3 ½ tbsp olive oil, garlic, parsley, thyme, oregano, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper and paprika. Whisk everything thoroughly until it starts to look like pesto. Mix ahead of time (up to 1 day, to develop more flavor).
To a second bowl, add crème fraiche, tomato, olives, ½ tbsp lemon zest and dill and stir to combine.
Brush halibut steaks with remaining olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place fish on grill skin side-down over indirect heat and carefully baste with herb mixture, ensuring the grill does not flame up. Close lid and grill about 15-20 minutes or until an internal temperature of 135°F has been reached, checking periodically to make sure the fish doesn’t burn.
Once finished, top halibut steaks with crème fraiche mixture and sprinkle with smoked salt.
Both mixtures for the fish can be made up to a day ahead of time (and refrigerated) to develop even more flavor.
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.