- 4 oz meaty salt pork or slab bacon, diced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 stalks of celery with leaves, finely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-in cubes
- 1 bottle clam juice (8 oz)
- 1 ½ c seafood stock
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 ½ lbs skinless cod, cut into 2-in pieces
- 1 ½ c heavy whipping cream (can use up to 2 c)
- 1 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped, for serving
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, minced, for serving
Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat and cook salt pork or bacon until brown, but not crisp, 8-10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat to paper towels to drain.
Add butter, onion and celery to drippings in the pot; season with freshly ground pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion and celery are soft, 5-8 minutes.
Add potatoes, clam juice, seafood stock and thyme; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
Season cod with fresh ground pepper and place fish on top of potatoes. Cover pot and cook (liquid should be barely simmering) until fish is opaque throughout, 5-7 minutes. Thicker pieces will take longer to cook.
Add heavy whipping cream and return to a simmer. At this point, the fish will break into smaller pieces. Season with more fresh ground pepper and garnish with bacon, parsley and chives just before serving.
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.