- 1 c stone ground white or yellow grits (not instant)
- 1 c your favorite pimento cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 strips bacon, chopped into ½-in pieces
- 1 lb (31-40 ct) peeled/deveined shrimp
- 3 green onions, finely chopped, divided
- 1 heaping c corn kernels (from 2-3 cobs)
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
Cook grits according to package instructions, using milk (not water). Once grits are tender, thick and creamy, reduce heat to low and whisk in pimento cheese and add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and keep warm.
Heat a large skillet over medium. Once hot, add bacon pieces and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add shrimp and half of the green onions to skillet, season with salt and pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally until shrimp are pink and opaque, about 4-5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add corn and lemon juice and sauté 2 minutes more.
To serve, spoon grits into serving bowls, top with shrimp mixture and remaining green onions. Serve with lemon wedges and a dash of hot sauce, if desired.
- For extra creamy grits, use milk instead of water (or a 50/50 ratio of water and milk).
Shop Recipe Ingredients
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.