- 6 unpeeled beets, scrubbed
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp Freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c grape or cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced into thin half moons
- 2 bunches (about 8 oz) watercress, stemmed
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Wrap each beet in aluminum foil and place on a rimmed sheet pan. Bake until beets are barely tender when pierced with a small, sharp knife, about 1 hour. Let cool until easy to handle. Slip off beet skins. Halve beets and cut into 1/2-inch-thick half-moons.
Whisk vinegar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Add beets, tomatoes and red onion and toss well. (Salad can be made to this point up to 1 hour ahead, or refrigerated for up to 8 hours.)
Just before serving, add watercress and toss again. Reseason with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Shop Recipe Ingredients
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.