- 6 unpeeled beets, scrubbed
- 2 tbsp. sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground pepper
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c. grape or cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced into thin half moons
- 2 bunches (about 8 oz.) watercress, stemmed
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Wrap each beet in aluminum foil and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until beets are barely tender when pierced with a small, sharp knife, about 1 hour. Let cool until easy to handle. Slip off beet skins. Halve beets and cut into 1/2-inch-thick half-moons.
Whisk vinegar, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Add beets, tomatoes, and red onion and toss well. (Salad can be made to this point up to 1 hour ahead, or refrigerated for up to 8 hours.)
Just before serving, add watercress and toss again. Reseason with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.