- 3 Yukon gold potatoes (about 1 lb), scrubbed and cut into 1 ½-inch chunks
- 2 whole carrots, scrubbed and cut into 1 ½-inch chunks
- 2 parsnips, scrubbed and cut into 1 ½-inch chunks
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1 ½-inch chunks
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into quarters, fennel fronds reserved, for serving
- 8 medium shallots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- ¾ c peeled garlic cloves (from our prepped vegetable section)
- 4 large sprigs fresh thyme, plus 2 tsp, chopped, for serving
- 4 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- ¼ c extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 (31 oz) jar Zoup Really Good Chicken Bone Broth
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 1 c crème fraiche or sour cream, divided
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place first 9 ingredients on rimmed sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Spread in a single layer and roast until garlic cloves are soft and golden and vegetables are tender with browned spots, about 45 minutes.
When vegetables are done, discard herb sprigs. Transfer about 1/2 c of the roasted garlic cloves to a small bowl and set aside for the garlic cream topping. Scrape remaining garlic and roasted vegetables into a large saucepan and add bone broth.
Puree the soup directly in the pan with an immersion blender. (Alternatively, puree soup in batches in a stand blender and return to pan.) Bring to a simmer over low heat.
Meanwhile, prepare garlic cream by mashing roasted garlic gloves with fork until smooth. Stir in lemon zest, ½ c crème fraiche and season with salt; set aside.
To finish soup, stir in remaining ½ c crème fraiche, lemon juice and reserved 2 tsp chopped thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a dollop of garlic cream and reserved fennel fronds.
Shop Recipe Ingredients
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.