Au Jus (can be made while prime rib is cooking)
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- ¼ c Red wine
- 2 c Beef broth, divided
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- The Fresh Market Signature Pepper Blend to taste
Prep your prime rib:
- Trim any excess fats.
- Remove the bones and then tie them back on using butcher’s twine.
- Brush prime rib with olive oil and generously rub The Fresh Market Signature Pepper Blend all over, including in between the prime rib and bones.
- Let prime rib rest outside of refrigerator for at least an hour (until it reaches room temperature) before beginning to cook.
Prep your smoker:
- Roughly clean your smoker of any loose debris. This will help you keep a consistent temperature, enhance the flavor of your food and keep your smoker in good condition long term.
- Consider different types of pellets. We recommend hickory for prime rib, but oak or pecan also work well.
- Preheat your smoker. When preheating you will see a lot of thick white smoke. Keep the smoker’s door open until it begins to burn clean (about 6 minutes), then close the door and preheat to 225°F.
Cooking the prime rib:
- Insert an instant read thermometer in the prime rib to monitor the temperature while it cooks. Make sure it touches the center of the meat.
- Place your prime rib in the smoker and cook until internal temperature is 125°F for a nice medium (around 30 minutes per pound).
- Take prime rib out of smoker, cover with foil and rest for 30 minutes. The temperature will increase to about 135°F while resting, which is the perfect temperature for serving.
- Slice your prime rib and serve with Au Jus.
Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Whisk until a paste forms.
Mix red wine into butter-flour mixture. Continue cooking over medium-high heat until the strong alcohol smell is gone, about 2 minutes. Continue whisking vigorously.
Pour in ½ c beef broth and continue whisking. Once incorporated, add the remaining broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. It should thicken slightly. Season with TFM Signature Pepper Blend
Note: After cutting your prime rib you will have some drippings. You can add the drippings to your Au Jus to enhance the flavor. You can also add caramelized onions for a tasty twist.
Shop Recipe Ingredients
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.