- 2 tbsp canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 ½ lb boneless pork butt, cut into 1 ½ - 2 in chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 c reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced fire roasted tomatoes
- ¾ c Secret Ardvark Serrabanero Green Hot Sauce, plus more for serving
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cut into rough 1 in chunks
- 3 tbsp yellow cornmeal or masa
- Fresh cilantro, cabbage and/or radishes, for serving
- Tortillas or rice, for serving
- Limes, for serving
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season pork liberally with salt and pepper. Add to pot in a single layer and cook until deeply browned, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining pork.
Discard all but about 2 tbsp fat in the pot. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin, oregano, paprika and bay leaves and season with salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes and Secret Ardvark Serrabanero Green Hot Sauce and bring to a simmer, using a wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of pan.
Return pork to pot and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pork is fork-tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat and skim off most of the fat from the surface of the cooking liquid. Add potatoes, season with salt and pepper and return pot to a simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 30-45 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine cornmeal with ½ c water and whisk into pot. As the stew simmers, use a wooden spoon or ladle to break up some of the pieces of pork and potato. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve family-style, with rice or tortillas and fresh cilantro, cabbage, radishes and lime.
Shop Recipe Ingredients
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.