- 4 oz goat cheese or cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ c sundried tomato pesto, plus more for serving
- ¼ c chopped fresh basil, plus more for serving
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ c shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
- Fresh basil
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Stir together the cheese, pesto and basil in a small bowl.
Pat the chicken dry. Starting on a thick side of a chicken breast, use a paring knife to cut a pocket into the chicken. Use your fingers to gently open the pocket and tuck in the cheese mixture. (Depending on the size of the breasts, you might have a little left over.) Season chicken all over generously with salt and pepper.
Warm the butter and oil in a large, oven-safe skillet. When the foaming subsides, add the chicken and cook undisturbed until deeply browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Flip with tongs and transfer into the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat reaches 160 to 165°F, 10-20 minutes depending on the size of the breasts.
Sprinkle with mozzarella and let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with additional fresh basil and sundried tomato pesto.
Shop Recipe Ingredients
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.