- 1 blood orange, juiced and zested
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- ¼ c. packed brown sugar
- ¼ c. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. cayenne
- 4 (6 oz.) salmon fillets
- 3 ½ c. chicken stock
- 1 c. black rice, thoroughly rinsed
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 c. dried cherries, roughly chopped
- ½ c. pepitas, toasted and roughly chopped
- ¼ c. flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 blood orange, peeled and supremed*
- 1 blood orange, thinly sliced
Prepare the marinade: In a large bowl, whisk together first 9 ingredients. Place salmon, flesh-side down in the marinade, gently pressing salmon down to ensure that all of it is covered in marinade. Allow to marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Prepare the rice: In a large saucepan, add stock, rice and salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and is beginning to split, about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and drain rice of any excess liquid. Fold in cherries, pepitas and parsley. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Transfer the rice to a serving bowl and top with blood orange supremes*.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place fillets, skin-side down in a parchment-lined glass baking dish. Pour remaining marinade over and top each fillet and top with 1-2 slices of blood orange. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until fish is cooked to desired doneness.
Serve salmon fillets over rice.
*Click here to view our step-by-step guide on how to supreme citrus.
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.