- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 3 thighs) , cut into 1-in pieces
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 oz smoked chorizo, casings removed and cut into ¼-inch slices
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Rumi Paella Spice Blend
- 1 c Matiz Valenciano Paella Rice
- ½ c canned diced tomatoes
- 1 ¾ c Aneto Fish Broth
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 (2.4 oz) tin Matiz Organic Mussels in Olive Oil and Vinegar, drained
- 4 piquillo peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- ¼ c packed flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet or sauté pan over medium high heat until it shimmers. Season chicken pieces with salt and add to pan in one layer. Add chorizo and continue cooking, turning chicken to lightly brown on all sides and letting the chorizo render some of its fat, about 4 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium low and add onion, garlic and paella spice blend, stirring to release chicken and chorizo from the pan and sweating the onion and garlic until softened and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the rice, stirring constantly to coat and lightly toast the rice, about 3 minutes.
Stir in diced tomatoes and fish broth, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and turn heat to low. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 10 minutes undisturbed.
Uncover and top the paella with mussels, spreading evenly over the surface of the rice, pressing them slightly into the rice and liquid to warm. Scatter piquillo pepper strips over the paella, add the cover back and cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and garnish with green onion and parsley. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.