You say tomato, we say you’ve gotta try our heirlooms!
There’s nothing better than biting into that first tomato of the summer, especially if that tomato is an heirloom. We can’t get enough of these juicy beauties and are proud to carry five delicious varieties this month!
Grown by the Wilgenburg family in Dinuba, California, our field-grown heirloom tomatoes are fertilized by rich compost made on the farm. Each one is carefully picked and packed by hand. We offer a range of colorful, unique options, from colossal Marvel Stripes to sweet, juicy Red Oxhearts. Mix them together with our fresh mozzarella for the best-tasting, most colorful caprese salad under the sun.
- German Johnson: Similar in appearance to beefsteak tomatoes, these hearty, thin-skinned, tomatoes have a pink-red hue and are perfect for slicing.
- Red Oxheart: Heart-shaped, sweet, juicy and wonderfully flavorful, Red Oxhearts can weigh up to 2 lb! Use them to make sauce or add to salads.
- Earl of Edgecombe: These large tomatoes ripen toward the end of summer. They are sweet and acidic, which make them ideal for salads.
- Stealth: The quintessential heirloom. Stealths have a darker, redish-purple skin, with rich and savory flesh. Perfect for BLTs.
- Zapotec Pleated: These tomatoes have a unique taste that’s incredible on its own or slice them up for salads and sandwiches.
Heirloom Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
Some things just bring out the best in each other. Enter heirloom tomatoes and creamy mozzarella. Add fresh basil and good olive oil, and you’re in for a treat! Enjoy as an appetizer or a light, no-cook summer meal.
Whether you’re making caprese, pasta or pizza, fresh mozzarella is the way to go. It’s creamy, sweet, rich and delicious. Ours is made fresh each week and wrapped by hand. We offer a range of shapes and sizes. Here are some tasty ways to enjoy each variety!
1The Fresh Market Hand-Wrapped Mozzarella
We offer a mozzarella log that’s conveniently pre-sliced. Use it to top pizzas or cube it and toss with pasta. We also have a mozzarella ball that’s perfect for tearing into pieces and layering with fresh basil and heirloom tomatoes. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil, flaky sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Add watermelon for an unexpected summer treat!
2Triumph of Cheese Burrata
Although burrata is made from mozzarella, it isn’t technically classified as such. The mozzarella used to make burrata is formed into a pouch and filled with a soft cream. The name literally means “butter” in Italian. Feel free to use it interchangeably with fresh mozzarella. We especially love it in our recipe for Grilled Peach and Burrata Salad.
3Triumph of Cheese Ciliegine Mozzarella
These cherry-sized mozzarella balls are perfect for tucking into salads or folding into pastas. They’re also great for snacking!
4Triumph of Cheese Mozzarella Pearls
Petite mozzarella pearls are ideal for any finger food dish. Try skewering them on toothpicks with a cherry tomato and drizzle of balsamic glaze. We also love using them in our recipe for Grilled Portabella Mushroom Caprese.