It’s bright. It’s zesty. And it’s in season. There’s a lot to love about winter citrus! Ours is domestically sourced and perfectly fresh. Over the years we’ve built strong partnerships with our growers to ensure they deliver consistently delicious, high-quality fruit for you to enjoy.
Read on, citrus lovers, to learn about some of our favorite fruits, how to keep them fresh and how to incorporate them into your sips, snacks, sweets and savory entrées as they trickle into stores all month long!
Whether you’re packing a lunch, grabbing a quick bite for breakfast or soothing afternoon hunger pangs, these lovable fruits are easy to peel and perfect for quick, on-the-go snacking. Order your favorite winter citrus online and pick it up curbside for an easy way to start enjoying these uniquely flavorful fruits!
Sumo Citrus® > Never judge a fruit by its skin. Lumpy, bumpy Sumo Citrus® is quite possibly our favorite citrus fruit. Originally developed in Japan, this unique mandarin hybrid has only been available in the US in the last decade. Sumo Citrus is deliciously sweet and incredibly easy to peel, as the fruit has already begun to separate from the skin. It’s also quite tender, which is why ours is packed and shipped in single layers.
Halos® Mandarins > These sweet fruits are conveniently seedless, juicy and easy to peel. They make a great on-the-go snack and are loved by kids of all ages! Pack them in a lunchbox or enjoy them as a tasty, good-for-you anytime snack.
Golden Nugget Mandarins > These madarins have a golden-orange skin and easily segmented flesh, with extremely sweet flavor and no seeds. These juicy treats arrive early March!
When Life Gives You Lemons: Meyer Lemons & Seedless Lemons
Think all lemons will make your lips pucker? Think again! Enticingly aromatic and super juicy, Meyer Lemons are slightly less sweet than Lemonade Lemons, but much sweeter than your average lemon. They’re also less acidic, making them ideal for milder-flavored baked goods. Try their zest in marinades and cocktails for a sweet, fresh kick.
We also have Seedless Lemons available this season. Our fresh, seedless lemons are super versatile. Squeeze them on salads, fish and chicken or use them in sauces and drinks.
Bright Ideas: Cara Cara, Heirloom Navels, Blood Oranges & Red Grapefruit
We love the sensory delight of these delicious oranges and a gorgeous grapefruit that all remind us of summer sunshine.
The Cara Cara balances the sweetness of other Navel Oranges with a delicate flavor reminiscent of fresh berries.
Our Heirloom Navel Oranges are grown from rootstocks cultivated for over 100 years for their taste, so you know you’re about to enjoy something truly delicious!
If you like your citrus dark and mysterious, our Blood Oranges are prized for their juicy flesh and deep pigmentation.
Red Grapefruits are another vibrant favorite, rich in vitamins C, A and lycopene, a powerful antioxidant.
Prolong the life of your fruit
- Don’t store your citrus in an airtight container or bag. It needs air circulation to stay fresh.
- Don’t rinse it until you’re ready to use it. And don’t store your fruits on top of each other, as this can create moisture and lead to mold—no one wants that!
- Store your fruit in a cool, dry place. If you plan to eat it in a few days, keep it on a countertop that does not receive warmth from sunlight or heat from your oven.
- It’s okay to store your citrus in the fridge crisper drawer. If you don’t plan to use it right away, this can be a great option to extend the life of your fruit for at least a week. Just be sure to bring the fruit to room temperature before using it. This makes for the most juice.
- Pro Tip: Citrus zest and juice freeze well and should last roughly 6 months, so you can keep some on hand for future recipes.
Indulge in our Signature Citrus Confections
Picking up one of our new citrus desserts is as easy as spending the afternoon in the sun. These baked goods are available for pickup at our in-store bakery, making it easier than ever to host friends, bring a housewarming gift or have a delectable, easy Sunday morning breakfast that rivals a summer day on the Amalfi Coast. Get those cat-eyed sunglasses on because this is luxury.
- Lemon Filled Pillow Cookies A chewy delicious cookie with a light lemon filling
- Lemons and Cream Bar Cake Thick dairy-fresh whipped cream and tangy lemon preserves layered between spongy, made-fromscratch shortcake.
- Torta Limone A buttery shortbread crust filled to the brim with our refreshing lemon cream custard then topped with a golden baked meringue.
- Orange Blossom Muffins Floral orange blossom enhances this moist and decadent muffin characterized by diced oranges offering a fresh and zesty flavor.
- Citrus Honey Almond Crunch Cake New and exclusive to our bakery, this spongy vanilla cake is layered with aromatic honey-orange mousse and topped with an almond lemon crumble. It's finished with ribbons of zesty lemon frosting and candied orange slices.
- The Fresh Market Signature Lemon Pound Cake Bright and zesty with a creamy thick texture, our pound cake is rich in flavor and is dusted with powdered sugar.
Zesty Citrus Recipes
The flavorful world of citrus is big, colorful and full of potential—especially when you think beyond a glass of orange juice or bright lemon vinaigrette. We love those things, too, but there’s something to be said for crab cakes topped with fresh herbs and bold citrus, or tuna in lemon butter dill sauce with almonds and zingy capers, or roasted Cara Cara Oranges topped with caramelized brown sugar, honey and pistachios. Curious about citrus? Scroll down for these recipes and more.
Starters & Salads >
These crisp salads and apps are a flavorful, refreshing way to start any meal. Our Kumquat Ricotta Toasts with Hot Honey and Candied Walnuts combines ricotta, honey, caramelized walnuts and kumquats for a perfect balance of flavors. We also have refreshing salads that bring the brightness of citrus to succulent seafood favorites.
Citrus-Inspired Entrées >
From salmon and crab cakes to chicken, these proteins pair perfectly with bold citrus flavors. For a show-stopping main dish, try our recipe for Braised Chicken Breasts with Fennel and Winter Citrus Salsa, enhanced with a winning combination of fresh herbs, orange and lemon.
Something Sweet >
Love fruity desserts? These sweet and tart treats take the cake. Keep it simple with Roasted Cara Cara Oranges—brown sugar, honey, pistachios and a little heat are the only ingredients you need to make magic happen. We also have an elegant, delicious pie and tart.